By now it’s pretty clear I like to make meals with healthy substitutes for our favorite ingredients. That’s why when I found carrot noodles at Trader Joes today I just had to try them and use them for my next blog post 🙂 Like zucchini noodles, carrot noodles are a lighter take on regular spaghetti and are very versatile in the types of dishes they can be used in. I have been craving peanut shrimp so I decided to use my carrot noodles in a Thai peanut shrimp dish with a mixture of other veggies. If you’re looking to end your weekend and start your week off on a lighter note, I would highly recommend replacing a typical pasta meal with vegetable noodles!
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Total Time: 25-30 minutes
Ingredients: makes 3-4 servings
- 10-12 Pieces of Shrimp
- 3-4 Tablespoons Thai Peanut Sauce (I used Wegmans brand but feel free to make your own!)
- 1 Package of Carrot Noodles (or you can spiralize them yourself if you have a spiralizer)
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 1 Package Chopped Veggie Mix (I bought a mix at Trader Joes but if you wish to buy the veggies separately, the package included:
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Red Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 Green Cabbage, shredded
- 1 Celery Stalk, chopped
- 5 Florets of Broccoli, chopped
- Optional Toppings: Chopped Peanuts or Scallions
Prior to cooking, de-thaw the shrimp and marinate them in the Thai peanut sauce for at least 30 minutes. Once marinated, sautéing the shrimp in a skillet for about 4-5 minutes, stirring consistently until the shrimp is pink. Set aside in a dish.
Put all the chopped veggies (but not the carrot noodles) into the skillet and sauté for about 4-5 minutes, until soft.
Once the veggies are soft, add in the carrot noodles. If the carrot noodles are frozen like the ones at Trader Joes, sauté them separately in a skillet first to de-thaw them before adding them in with the rest of the veggies. Once the carrot noodles are added into the veggie mixture, add more Thai peanut sauce and stir all the veggies together to distribute the sauce.
Once the carrot noodles are soft, add in the cooked shrimp and mix all the ingredients together. Top with chopped peanuts or scallions and serve hot. Enjoy!